05 October 2012

Tomorrow...

Everyday people talk to me about my hair.  Everyday.

If I leave the house,  I have at least one interaction about my hair with someone.  That is a given in my daily life and one that I never take for granted.

Seriously, it has been a pleasure to get random snippets of insight into total strangers' lives purely because something about my hair moves them to talk to me.

How many conversations do you have about your hair?
When you see a cool dress or nice shoes or a funky bag, do say something?
Someone with a military cut, a woman in hijab, or a person with a shaved head...
Would you ask what made them do their hair like that?
Can I touch it?
Do you wash it?
What did you use to do that?
It's pretty absurd, right?  I find it interesting, though. It's awesome that so many different people - from ambassadors to exotic dancers - have said to me, "I've always wanted dreadlocks" and yet haven't had dreadlocks for as many reasons as there are people.

Initially, talking about my hair with strangers was fun and flattering.  Then it was insightful but increasingly routine...  Now it's pretty much boring, but I have fun with it:

Tomorrow, to whatever kind soul inquires about my lovely locs, I'm going to respond with the following:  Jesus probably had dreadlocks. Most people on earth used to have dreadlocks.

  Nice and tidy, like noble locs ought be.



No comments: