22 October 2012

A style of yoga inspired by the 99 Names of Allah

bismillah irrahman irraheem.  This is the idea that came to me upon return home from a long bus trip. While passing thru NYC, I met up with a friend I hadn't seen in years and some of his friends.  I found myself feeling, as I often do, deeply happy to be muslim, inspired and comforted by my presence in a global family, ummah.  And yet, arriving home, I felt confronted by some elements of my life out-of-sync and unharmonized with the principles I value so deeply.  Lately feel that I am working against myself in some ways.  I am learning and identifying ways to make my life more sustainable and more enriching, however the transition - as in all our endeavors - is not immediate and sometimes trying.  Long story short, I opted not to dwell in guilt or contemplation and instead took to my yoga mat and stretched eastward.

And so became a mental exercise to recall all 99 Names of Allah... I was solving this problem not mentally by recitation or rote memory but by physical movement guided by intentional mediation.  Amidst this meditative state, I realized that I was acting out a technique I had seen on TED recently by choreographer Wayne McGregor and also applied by the Dance Your PhD contest.  

Ideas worth sharing.

No comments: