10 January 2014

In 2013, I went to 110 bikram yoga classes.

That's 165 hours, almost a week of my year if condensed into days.


Mr. Bikram Choudhury receives mixed review among doctors, fitness professionals and yoga enthusiasts alike.  I once heard an instructor during a teacher training describe his exercise science knowledge as "piss poor" and of course, it's trifling that he copyright ancient asana.  That said, many recognize his positive contributions to alternative medicine and human flourishing.  Deepak Chopra went so far as to say, Bikram is doing a great service to yoga. 

Bikram's beginning yoga class has certainly done a great service to me.
I had experienced it first several years ago, a few times, on and off;  It is never too late to start or start again.

I connected deeply with the practice at Bikram Yoga Capitol Hill.  I arrived at 9AM on a late-March Sunday morning, and I remember praying, consciously hoping that this practice would help me.  I had been struggling with various shades of anxiety but a specific challenge drew me to bikram:  I had quit smoking cigarettes for some time and there was nothing - nothing - that I was more proud of than quitting smoking cigarettes.  And yet, despite all logic in this beautiful springtime weather, I wanted to smoke cigarettes again.  I couldn't let that happen, so I rushed to BYCH and from then on met any craving with a sweaty ninety-minute session. I went to fifty-five classes over the following ninety days and didn't smoke at all.

Then I moved to Phoenix.  The first commitment I made in Arizona - before housing, before employment - was my membership to Bikram Yoga AZ.  I am often the youngest person in class.  The teachers are some of the best I've experienced across yoga disciplines.  I am stronger and more peaceful than ever before. 

And photos like the one above - same people, 23 years later - keep me drinking the kool-aid for now.
  

No comments: