09 January 2014

Greetings from the Valley of the Sun

While the rest of America has been bundled up, screenshoting their Weather App and tossing cups of boiling water off their porches, we in Phoenix have been driving with our windows down. 

Driving with the windows down is somewhat of a benchmark in these parts.  I noticed it most when the summer was ending.   As the season changed, I heard it from the driver of almost every car I sat in: "Ooh, I think it's windows-down weather".  What a wonderful thing, indeed.  

Phoenix is the 12th largest metropolitan area in the US.  The public transit system is not awesome.
It was incorporated as a city in 1881.    The public transit system has improved since then.
 I came to Phoenix because I like the heat and the desert vibe, and because many of my family members live here or nearby.  I like that people hike.  And notice the clouds, and the stars...

Driving was the main obstacle for me in the beginning. But I came around and driving has been worth it so far. I drive a Prius, like a whole lot of other Phoenicians. 

Car culture sucks, but at least we have moon roofs and driving with the windows down.

No comments: