29 August 2006

These photos are from a mosque in Old Islamic Cairo that is more than 1000 years old. One muezzin pointed me towards a sidechamber inside the mosque and invited me in. It turns out it was a tomb with beautiful caligraphy and marble flooring. He wanted five pounds. I thought this was absurd. Then he said "echo?". I thought this was odd. When I gave it to him the crumbled bill everything was clear:

He sang the adhan, call to prayer, and left. I stood in a 1000 year old chamber all by myself listening to the echo of his voice for nearly 15 seconds while tears pooled.




I really like…

How I don't have to sugar my tea here, because it already comes with an absurd amount.

How I can’t possibly lose my keys here because I have to leave them in the building when I leave.

How if one person in the room smokes they are informally obligated to offer everyone in the room a cigarette.

How taksi drivers use their horns for echolocation kind of like bats sending out ultrasonic signals.

How pyramid climbing is not permitted and yet I totally got this picture.


No comments: