31 August 2006

One of my favorite things about Egypt is how modernity and tradition blend so harmoniously... but sometimes this blend creates a very funny juxtaposition. Example du jour! You know the prewritten-texts on cellphones like 'meet you in ... minutes' or 'sorry i'm running late'? My Egyptian mobile lists the following 'quick notes', haha.

Call you later.
Urgent! Please call.
I'll be - minutes.
I'll meet you at --.
Meet you in --.
Be happy for --.
I'll wait for you at subway/bus/exit/platform number --.
Don't worry be happy --.
Have a nice day!
I love you forever.

Other highlights of the day... Sasha and I managed to get ourselves locked into her bedroom 9 stories up from the street and i mcGiver-ed us out with a plastic hanger, AUC coursebooklet, and a few rhythmic pounds on the door. I got lost in Cairo suburbia. And, alHamdulila, we finally moved into our new apartment! I've found that Cairo streets seem to have "districts"... I'll be walking down the street and only see shoestores for a few blocks, and then only scarf shops, and then only resteraunts, and then only clothing stores... well the first time i walked to my apartment alone i discovered which 'district' it is in. I was suprised that all the cars in the street weren't honking... and then I realized it was because they weren't on. Then I realized that very dirty men were lying on their backs underneath them or tucked inside their hoods. I preceeded to see a pattern in the shops, too: shisha, wrenches, shisha, fanbelts, shisha, tires, shisha, headlights, shisha, rearview mirrors, shisha, seatcovers.... we live in an automotive district. classic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!!!! I am so excited to see that you are having a blast. I love and miss you.
wuwu