12 August 2006

the resilient flame of the candlestick resting beneath glass on a chunk of palm wood flickers while mist from the massive evening downpour mists me over the banister. having spent the week in CostaRica i can appreciate the word Rainforest much better. also, Pura Vida is no longer the name of some wannabe-nature-loving-hippie-coffeeshop in the Tavern at AU, but rather a modus operandi of an entire population of centralAmerican people.

On vacation, I am reminded again that I am not a tourist but a traveller. One difference, the tourist "accepts his own civilization without question; not the traveller, who compares it with the others, and rejects those elements he finds not to his liking."

When people ask me where I am from, I struggle. California? Washington, DC? I won't be living in either of those locations for the next year, but can I actuall responde with "Egypt"? Wanderer, nomad, or simply drifting seems appropriate for the time being. "The traveller, belonging no more to one place than to the next, moves slowly, over periods of years, from one part of the earth to another."


quotes from Paul Bowles' Sheltering Sky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am extremely excited for you. I hope you have wonderful adventures and share your stories. I can't wait to hear everything, even though I will miss you terribly. ~Tai